Monday, November 17, 2008

Vegas... and Chad Kroeger's Hair

Jeez. What's up with Chad Kroeger's hair in the new Nickelback video? I just saw a clip.... and I'm thinking... he used the MagicCuts coupon from the Sunday paper.

So, yeah. Trying new stuff. I went to Las Vegas for the first time this week, and I did LOTS of new things within the larger New Thing of Traveling to Sin City. Not a lot of it was sinful, though, as we shared a room with friends, and Chris and I Just Won't Go There (unlike some people we know who went at it like bunnies in the queen bed right next to our friends while they thought they were asleep, gag). (Hmm, lots of random caps and parentheticals in this post. Oh, well. It's literary.)

Some of the new things I did, not in order of importance, coolness, or enlightening-ness, are:

1. Drank what was essentially a slurpee spiked with 151 out of a clear plastic football while watching a girl with DD boobs and a size 0 waist wearing fishnet stockings and a cheap bustier spin the Money Wheel as our male friends lost hundreds of dollars on Freemont Street.

2. Took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon and Lake Mead. Oh, God, my credit card is never going to be paid off, but it was an incredible experience worth every penny. We took off from Boulder City, flew over the lake and Hoover Dam, then landed right by the Colorado River, how cool is that?

3. Puked on a helicopter. Cool people do not get air sick. Good thing I don't have to worry about being cool. At least I made it in the bag.

4. Took in a Cirque de Soliel show. I've seen a Cirque show before, but never in Vegas, and never on a stage built solely for that purpose. It was also amazing.

5. Watched the World Series of Poker final table, live and in person at the Rio. Poker was neato, the Rio was kind of depressing in an 80's kind of way.

6. Was offered prostitutes. Multiple times.

7. Watched the Bellagio water show. Which I could do all day long. Loved it. For someone born under an Earth sign, I am obsessed with water.

8. Listened to a friend barf on my hotel room carpet. Not particularly life-altering, that one.

9. Walked eight gazillion miles. I'm not exaggerating. It's a walking city. Next time I go I'm going to bring a pedometer, and recommend that anyone else who goes does too, so you can count the eight gazillion miles you will walk.

10. Admired and hated the architecture of the city, for it's imagination and it's awful, awful wastefulness.

All in all, a worthwhile trip. It's one of those things that everyone should do once in their life, whether they want to or not. In many ways, I found the city depressing. The entire place exists solely for the entertainment of people who have enough money to entertain themselves, and there were moments where you could literally see folks trying to decide what to do to distract their minds from... their minds. On the other hand, the creativity that went into making it, the artistry of the shows, the diversity of the food, and the diversity of the people, were pretty neat. And the alcohol was cheaper than food or water. I think that should be the city motto.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sounds like the helicopter was a great way to view the place. And you got to see Cirque in Vegas!!! Always wanted to see their "O."

Glad you splurged and had fun. Also glad that you've started your blog up again!

Jason Harman said...

Late in reading this but entertained none the less. Everyone I know has been to Las Vegas but me it seems. My family went without me a few years back - my best friend Shayne headed down there recently with his Dad - I just need an excuse to go. Problem is I'm not really into gambling but from the sound of your post there is tonnes more than gambling to be done.

Keep updating the blog. A little rant from time to time so we can all know you're doing good. Let us know how the book is coming and when you're visiting TO.