Monday, October 20, 2008

Getting away, just because we can/should/need to and not feeling guilty about it

Let me tell you, folks, that's a new one for me. Usually, when I get away, my life has gotten stressful to the point that if I don't go away, things in my brain will start to crumble and break. This time, I recognized the stress before it got to the stale-cookie-like crumbling level. See previous post regarding fire.

Our good friends Mike, Stacey, David and Jenny got us a weekend at their condo in Whistler for a wedding present, and Chris and I both agreed that now was the time to use it. We left after work on Friday, and had a kind of harrowing drive through the rain and construction-confused roads, but got to Whistler safely at about dinner time that night. We had a nice dead-animal dinner at the Keg, came back to the condo, and enjoyed the heated outdoor pool and jacuzzi. That was QUITE nice. Saturday we did some hiking, shopping, and brunching. It's absolutely gorgeous up there this time of year - the trees are all turning, and everything was green and yellow and red, against a bright blue sky. We got home early Sunday afternoon, and spent it putting our house back together. Between the mini-vacation and just having our living space back in order, my brain and body and soul felt a helluva lot better.

Usually, after a trip like this where I spent too much money eating out and gas driving and twice as much on a new memory card as I would have at home because I'm a moron and left my other memory card in the computer, I am wracked with guilt - I should have spent this money elsewhere, I shouldn't have wasted, etc. This time, I was like, "Yeah. We needed that. It was good."

So... we're going to Vegas in November. The Grand Canyon is kind of close to there. I really want to go, but since we're only there for four days, I don't want to drive. So a friend (a much wealthier friend) suggested a helicopter tour. Mike looked it up (he and Stace and a bunch of others are also going to Vegas in November) and couldn't find any for less than $300 per person. My eyeballs almost fell out of my head. I started making excuses for why it wouldn't work, which really boiled down to the fact that I'd feel guilty for spending the money. Then I thought... when will you ever get the chance to see the Grand Canyon from the sky, and land in the middle of one of the crevasses? What if you NEVER get the chance to do that again? And I decided in that moment that Chris and I are going to do it, without guilt, because experiences are worth a helluva lot more than material shit is.

Please remind me of this magical thinking mindset if I can't afford groceries in December. Thanks.

3 comments:

Squirrelly Girly said...

You can charge your groceries in December if you must. But I really do think the Grand Canyon will be worht it. It's on my To See list. Along with Mayan Temples, Machu Pichu, some kind of arctic cruise.

Jason Harman said...

Sounds like you two are living it up. Its good not to keep postponing life for the future.

Whistler will always remind me of Steve O's cottage. Fun times.

Have fun in Vegas - hope you're bringing twice as much Canadian money as you originally thought you needed :( What a downer I am...

Ashleigh said...

@jason - yeah, the dollar is in the tank. at least we booked our hotel and flight when the dollar was at par. we just won't be able to eat, that's all.

i thought of steve o and our aj whistler trip as i was going through the IGA. mmm, homemade pizza.