Wednesday, June 06, 2007

under water?

well folks, between the rising waters of the fraser river and the final push to finish my reports for work, i'm looking around for an ark to either save me from sewage and bacteria infested flood waters or to take me the fuck away from it all.

some poor peeps in maple ridge have had to leave their homes, as well as peeps in other places in the fraser valley and the interior. as for chris and myself, we've purchased some bottled water, granola bars and dried fruit, just in case grocery trucks can't make it in. it might not get that extreme, but who knows? we'll eat the stuff, regardless of what happens.

as for work, well, this project is almost done. it's driving me whacky, though. i've been a very good girl and began writing my reports well ahead of the due date so that i could avoid my usual "i-regret-this-work-because-i-could-have-done-better-if-i'd-worked-harder" self-flagellation. the result? my reports are pretty dang good, but i miss my last minute adrenaline rush. i miss the clarity that comes with panic, the way my mind focuses completely on JUST GETTING IT DONE. i miss the kind of writing that i am capable of when all those stress hormones coalesce into some brilliant turns of phrase and sentence constructions because i am IN THE ZONE. so while my reports may contain better, more thorough research, they lack the tone that i am capable of producing only when freaked out and under the deadline gun. sniff. the grass is always greener on the other side, yes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh well.. perhaps one day you will be able to recreate that tone in all your papers... then you will be the bomb!

-j.

Jason Harman said...

Finished work is finished work - no matter how it was done! Should be glad to be getting it out the door so you can work on your novel and my overdue essays that I will send you!